Sex News in Asia – 10/3/11
- Much ado about a half-naked man. Abercrombie & Fitch ad suspended by authorities. The advertisement featuring a topless man that is plastered on the Orchard shopfront of American fashion retailer Abercrombie & Fitch breaches the local advertising code of decency, saidThe Advertising Standards Authority of Singapore (ASAS), which has called for the ad to be removed. But there is a hitch – ASAS has no legal rights to enforce its decision. Another report is here. The fact that Singaporeans are divided the ruling is which is truly interesting. One reader questioned what is obscenity with an example here.
- Lawyer challenges Section 377A of Penal Code. A court here has reserved judgement on a constitutional challenge to Section 377A of the Penal Code after a lawyer filed it as his client was charged for performing oral sex on his male partner in a public toilet in CityLink Mall in March 2010. A commentary on 377A is here. Another one is here.
- PublicHouse.sg interviews Miak Siew – S’pore’s first openly gay pastor
- School counsels teens in choking-game video. I wonder if the media even knows the right term for this: “asphyxiation”. More here.
- Fans of anime and Japanese pop culture are in for a treat this November at the Anime Festival Asia 2011 (AFA 2011).
- Eight in 10 respondents in Singapore have reported not using any form of contraception when having sex with a new partner. This is among the highest rate of nine Asia Pacific countries surveyed. The survey was conducted among young adults aged 20 to 35 years by Bayer Healthcare earlier this year to mark World Contraception Day.
- Yahoo! News Singapore: Controversial slimming ad sparks debate. This woman voices the opinion of many plus size women here in Singapore, in response to London Weight Management’s business ethics as seen in the paid informercial programs on Mediacop’s free to air channels.
- Amy Cheng told her son about sex when he was 7… and of course, it had to be in the context of marriage.
- Article: How to talk to your doctor about premature ejaculation
- A picture of how Thailand’s politics, economics, art, society and views of sex affect the LGBT people who actually live there as opposed to just pass through.
- Indonesia’s only female sex therapist has a weekly podcast to provide some frank, accurate talk about the bedroom.
- Q! Film Festival returns to Jakarta and 5 other cities, Sep 30 – Oct 8.
- Taiwanese boy band F4 member Ken Chu openly admits he is a playboy and is addicted to sex, according to a report by Apple Daily.
- Human rights activists are reporting an increased incidence of rape against Kachin women in areas of recent military attacks by government forces in northern Myanmar.
- The Japanese Foreign Ministry has asked the Korean government to block plans by an organization of former “comfort women” to mark their 1,000th weekly protest in front of the Japanese Embassy in Seoul by erecting a 120 cm memorial stone there.