After-50 Vaginal Maintenance by Pamela Madsen
Pamela Madsen’s weekly blog The Power of the Erotic usually runs on Tuesdays–apologies for not getting it up yesterday! –Carol Queen, PhD
After-50 Vaginal Maintenance: What Every Owner Needs To Know
Are you “After 50” and a proud owner of a vagina? If you are, you might have noticed that your vagina and her needs are changing. Vaginas actually have an environment that shifts during our life cycle and may change what we expect of them. Vaginas need and enjoy attention, and knowing how to keep your vagina happy is very important because if your vagina isn’t happy nobody is happy!
Most of us know that vaginas are like self-cleaning ovens, a source of pleasure and a sometimes portal for life. But did you know that in the United States alone, six thousand women go into menopause every day?
Did you know that some of these women may experience uncomfortable dryness, pain and a lowering of libido?
Well, phooey on that (phooey is a scientific term for ‘get outta here’).
Yes, you can go the route of estrogen therapy and other pharmaceutical remedies. But some women who have or have survived estrogen-receptor positive cancer, or are concerned that they may be at high risk for cancer, can’t use hormone therapy. And even if you do use these therapies, I think that my routine for vaginal maintenance could either be a stand-alone or combined with western medicine.
Pamela’s Tips For Vaginal Maintenance:
1. Keep a bottle or jar of coconut oil (organic) in the bathroom. After you pee and wipe, put a little oil on your fingers and massage your inner labia and the area around the opening of your vagina. This will keep the skin of your inner labia and the open to your vagina soft and supple. Yes, do this every time you use the bathroom at home.
2. Buy Kegel balls. Not everyone has a partner, and even those of us that do have partners are not having intercourse enough for our vaginal health. Our vaginas need to be exercised! If we do not provide our vaginas with regular stimulation we may experience the walls of our vaginas thinning, or worse, vaginal atrophy can occur. By wearing or playing with Kegel balls, we are taking the health of our vaginas into our own hands. These can also help you maintain your ability to create lubrication. The balls move around in your vagina and literally work out the walls. Many vagina owners report that they don’t even notice that they are wearing them. Just take care when you go to the bathroom! They could fall out! A great first step with the balls is sleeping with them inside you. You can wear them all day. Experiment with them.
3. Use lubricants! Lube is really your friend. Don’t let your partner use spit to create a wetter environment in your vagina (yes, some partners really try to get away with that!). Sex doesn’t have to be painful, and using lots of lubricant can make your vagina really happy. Use lubricant when you place your Kegel balls inside of you. Use lubricant with you play with sex toys. Use lube! I like Sliquid Silk Lube and Hathor Aphrodisa Lubricant.
4. Check out Sex Butter. Sex butter is also a natural lubricant, but it is also a stimulant. Many women report that using Sex Butter has also supported them in easing vaginal pain. I keep it in my tool box.
5. Use insertables. That’s right, I am talking sex toys that you can put in your vagina. Once again, this is about pleasure but it’s also about keeping our over 50 vaginas happy! My favorite toys at the moment are made by njoy. These toys have body and weight to them. They can give a woman something to hold onto and I like that. I highly recommend the Pure Wand, The Fun Wand and the njoy Eleven. These toys are made out of pure medical-grade stainless steel. They feel good, can give you lots of pleasure and they are really fabulous for vaginal maintenance. Invest in one or try them all. All three of these beauties are in my tool chest.
6. Vagina Hugs: Your vagina needs love and attention. This does not always have to look like rocket ship orgasms. Vaginas like to be touched and held. Sometimes, simple hold and rocking is enough. Or gentle petting, either with dry hands or with lubricant. Try that when you wake up in the morning or when you are falling asleep at night.
Remember, no one else can really love and maintain your vagina for you. And when your vagina is happy, the world is a brighter place!